Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Haffy...Low...

During an inset training and seminar that I attended this semestral break, I was able to list down some ‘interesting’ words, phrases, and statements by some of our comrades in the profession.
When you are satisfied and blissful with the results of an endeavor, how do you feel? Well, a colleague, in her speech exclaimed, “I am haffythat the officersis responsible enough…”

I think Peter Piper can help you get out of this problem, Madame. And please, do not forget your subject-verb agreement. The first and general rule states: a singular subjects needs a singular verb; a plural subject needs a plural verb.

Ignorance of the law excuses no one. Not even the highest ranking official of any institution. Law is pronounced as lô which sounds like saw, lawn, paw, among many others. The Ô sound is like the meeting point of ah and ow, right?

So next time you encounter the word law, please do not pronounce it as if you are singing Flo Rida’s “shawty get low, low, low, low!” But if you shout right to my face, “I know nothing about the law (low); I am an idiot,” well, then, all I can do is to rest my case.

Till next case hearing…

No comments: