Sunday, August 31, 2008

THE HARDEST TEST

Being a teacher at the Makati Science High School is not that easy. You have to face a lot of trials, a lot of pressures. You have to possess a bunch of exceptional qualities and traits to survive the test. You have to make sure that you really have readied yourself to the pros and cons of being in this prestigious institution.
I still remember when I was waiting for my school assignment after passing all the screenings, tests and interviews. The English supervisor, upon spotting me enter the DepEd Makati office, exclaimed that they have waited me for so long to report for Maksci is in urgent need of an English teacher. Still flattered by the good news, I immediately rushed to get my advice slip.
After getting my appointment, I was called by the other teacher applicants who were just outside the office, waiting for their deployment. They cautioned me of the possible consequences of entering that school. There was the warning about the students who question the credibility of a teacher. Or worse, the students can break the career of a teacher.
Adventurous and enthusiastic in nature, I was filled with the thought of if-others-can-why-can’t-I. I just smiled at them and imagined my self as one of the contestants in the now debunked television show Extra Challenge or a castaway in a Survivor episode.
Holding the appointment letter in one hand, I headed for the Makati Science High School building, entered the principal’s office, welcomed by the English Department head and some faculty members. I started the hardest test ever in my life. Not a written-then-checked-then-recorded-test but a test of SPEAKING MY MIND, TEACHING PEOPLE, TOUCHING LIVES!

No comments: