Sunday, September 21, 2008

QUOTE...UNQUOTE...

SPEAK your mind...TEACH people...TOUCH lives...

I was watching the late night show last week (I forgot the exact date) when I suddenly remember a popular column in our university student publication in college – Don’t Quote Me on That by the great Saniata Manglinong. It was about the WORST speakers of the English language. It involved not only students but also members of the teaching faculty. As a result, I am basing this post (which I plan to make it a series) on that column. Though I am not an excellent user of the language, at least I am trying to be one. So, let the fun begins!

A segment host of that late night show, who is a famous economist, made an analysis of the economic problem of the U.S. She said, which I quote “…between 1 to 6…” What’s wrong in your statement, Madam Journalist/Economist? The preposition BETWEEN is used to refer to a thing located amid two thing/entities. It links the two objects. So between 1 and 6 should have been used. If you want to use 1 TO 6, the preposition should be FROM since you are referring to a point of origin to a destination/terminal point.

A solon, who opposes the bill on family planning, delivered his SONA before the sponsor of the bill could deliver his privilege speech. Angrily, he said (and I quote), “…the paper should BE READ (rd)…” What’s wrong with it, Honorable Congressman? It is simply because you pronounced READ as the present tense of the verb. It should have been (rd), as in the color RED since the verb is in the participle form.

Okay, that’s all for now. ‘Til next time. Like Mr. Imbestigador is always saying, “Hangga’t may anomalya, hindi naming kayo tatantanan!”

Ciao!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooohh... ooo nga eh sir, let the fun begins ahehehe